Once a Year
- Get a flu shot (October to mid-November), if you have not had negative side effects.
- Get a pneumonia shot (if you’ve never had one) and every 5 years.
- Get a dilated eye exam.
- Get a foot exam (including a check of circulation and nerves).
- Get a kidney test.
- Have your urine tested for microalbumin.
- Have your blood tested for chemicals that measure your kidney function.
- Get a 24-hour urine test (if your doctor advises).
- Get your blood fats checked for o Total cholesterol.
- High-density lipoprotein (HDL). o Low-density lipoprotein (LDL). o Triglycerides.
- Get a dental exam (at least twice a year).
Talk with your health care team about
- How well you can tell when you have low blood glucose.
- How you are treating high blood glucose.
- Tobacco use (cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco).
- Your feelings about having diabetes.
- Your plans for pregnancy (if a woman).